This one was caused by two items:
- Log4j files were incorrect
- Permissions on the core.properties file
Log4j Files. There was a bug in my deployment script that copied two of the log4j files to the same name in the destination. So, two files appeared missing and two others were the wrong size. Once I fixed that, I started getting solr logs.
Permissions. The solr logs showed that it was not able to access the core.properties file. The file was there, owned by the user running glassfish with permissions 664.
The containing folder had permissions 664 also. Changed the permissions on that folder to 764 and voila. It started working.