I’ve had the subversion resource working just fine for several months. I made some changes in subversion such as moving a file from one location to another. I updated the attributes in chef to reflect the new location, but the svn client on this centos server reported an error.
I was able to get the actual svn command by running chef-client -l debug (in debug mode).
svn export –force –trust-server-cert –onon-interactive -q –username abc –password abcd -r5 https://dev-svn.xxxxx.com/chef-deploy-files/client-files/dev/clientname/dxr-bootstrap.xml /sites/dxr-bootstrap.xml
The error was:
svn: File not found: revision 1, path /client-files/dev/standalone/dxr-bootstrap.xml
Notice that the path of the error does not match the path used in the command. I was able to duplicate the error on the command line by pasting the command on the command line.
When I removed the “-r5” the command worked fine. But, the chef subversion resource adds that automatically.
Eventually, I opened the dxr-bootstrap.xml file on my local workstation, made a trivial change and checked it back in.
That fixed it temporarily. The next time someone made a revision in the repo, it started getting the error again.
I remembered that I had done a rename on the standalone directory to a new name. It looked like the history had some unresolved reference to the old name.
To resolve the issue, I deleted the directory tree from the repo, checked that in, then re-added the entire tree fresh and committed it. That removed whatever history was causing the issue and it’s working now.
It seems that doing a TortoiseSVN rename on a directory may leave some hanging issues in the repo.